Monday, November 29, 2010

Our Thanksgiving turkey Warning: graphic!

Here is the brief recap of our turkey's demise. Warning: a bit graphic!

My friend dropped him off and immediately tied up his legs so we didn't have to chase him. We put out plastic down to contain the blood and Jared got a piece of cardboard and we got the coolers ready.

I was walking around and started getting attached to him, so I kept my distance, since I knew we'd be eating him. Jared got him in position and was straddling him and he told me I had to hold the bag. I couldn't look!! I heard this loud cracking noise and the bird started freaking out, so I had to look. There was blood everywhere!! A lot of it was in the garbage bag but while the bird was freaking out he tore up the plastic so there was blood on our friends garage floor. Great, just great. I'm gonna be scrubbing up blood! I asked Jared what was going on and he told me that the turkey's head was completely chopped off, and it's wing had gotten loose and was beating up Jared's legs. O_o' Holy shit! It also made this disgusting gurgling noise and Jared said that was the blood filling up in the turkey's lungs.

He's a video (warning graphic!!!) of the few final twitches of the turkey.

Yeah, I missed out on the good part but I had my hands full until he calmed down a bit. Anyways, Jared made me help pluck but he removed all the innards and cut off the feet. I kept some of the feathers to reuse in crafts and in my dream catchers. This was an eye opening experience. Never really had to deal with anything like this before. I don't think we'll ever do this again for a Thanksgiving turkey. I'll tell ya tho, he was a yummy bird!!


We also killed 3 other birds that you can see in the video.

No comments: